When it comes to home improvement, the roof is often overlooked. Ironically, it is a significant aspect of the overall home structure because it protects your belongings and the inhabitants of your home – your family. Getting a new roof can be an expensive project, so you need to determine when is the right time to do so to make the most of the investment.
First and foremost, you need to perform a regular check on the roof. Take note of these 10 factors during inspection that will indicate when it is time to get a new roof:
- When you see cracks, torn shingles, loose materials, and shingle granules on the roof. All of these point towards advanced level of wear on your roof.
- When there are areas filled with moisture and mold. These can promote growth of bacteria or fungi that will slowly but gradually cause deterioration of roof materials.
- When the roof begins to sag. This can be seen by examining the roof from the outside of your home. You need to get a new roof when the ridge does not follow a straight line and there are no signs of structural damage.
- When there are dark streaks on your attic because this could indicate that the water is getting in from the roof.
- When the sunlight streaks can get into your home. This could indicate that the nails might have burrowed through the roof shingles, or there are loose materials that had been dislodged from its original position.
- When the nails and other materials that areholdingthe shingles together get taken out. This could make your roof highly vulnerable against various kinds of harsh natural elements such as rain and sunlight.
- When there are cracks or gaps on any part of the roof. If you just leave it there, those gaps could widen up eventually until the cost of repair becomes more substantial.
- When tree branches from nearby trees haverestedon your roof causing it to weigh down and the materials to break. If you can, try to get rid of these trees or branches so it would not cause damage to the drainage.
- When the edges of the roof had been lifted bywind, which might expose the interior layer of the roof to build up waterduring rain.
- When you live in a place that gets too hotduringsummer months because the ultraviolet rays from the sun can speed up deterioration and wear of roof shingles.
Once you decide to get a new roof, choose your qualified and trusted contractor, Hollister Roofing, to undergo your roof replacement to ensure the quality of the job.